Wednesday 6 January 2010

Will of Richard Westall R. A. 1765 – 1836

This is the last Will and Testament of me Richard Westall of 28 Russell Place Fitzroy Square in the county of Middlesex Esquire. I give ? and bequeath my leasehold _ ? with __ and out buildings thereto belonging _ _ _and all my Estate and interest therein and all my paintings furniture__ Estate of whatever description the same may be unto my Brother in Law William Daniell of ? 14 Russell Place in said county Esquire ?? and my Brother William Westall No 5 North Bank Regents Park in the said county Esquire ___ upon the? Trusts/trustees? _ for the intents and purposes hereafter? Expressed? & _ of and _ the said___way_ trust as soon as ___may be after my decease to ___all such monies and debts as shall or may be But? & owing to me at the time of my decease and also for? Trust? To sell and dispose of the said Leasehold __ and __ & all other my said personal Estate not – of income, either by public sale? Or private contract as to those my said Trustees shall ___and in trust__ of the monies to be begotten? In and by such sale arriving in the first place to __ satisfy & discharge? All my just debts the expenses of the funeral & the expenses of proving? This my last will and to stand possessed? Of the residue of the said monies in trust to __ the value upon __ or Government Securities at interest from time to time __ or all in the securities wherever the same shall be invested and to lay out the proceeds? __ upon other securities of the like nature at interst and upon trust as to our? --- moiety or half part of the said Trust monies funds? And securities to pay the interest? And __ therefrom__ unto my Sister Mary Daniell wife of the said William Daniell or her __ for her life and the same shall not be subject to the ____ disposition or __ of the present or any after taken __ and for whether? __ or alone shall be sufficient __ and In Trust upon the death of the said Mary? Daniell to pay or transfer the same half part of the said stocks funds & securities to _ person or persons and in such manner as the said Mary Daniell by her last Will & Testament or any writing under her hand & attested by two or more ___ notwithstanding her __ may first __ or appoint and in default of __ invitation? Or appoint unto the __ or __ of the said Mary Daniell and the other moiety or half part of the said trust funds and _ the said William Daniell & William Westall their Executors? __ stand possesses? Of & interested in the same In trust to pay the interest---therefrom arriving unto my sister Ann Westall & her _ for her life and from & _ after her decease in trust to pay or transfer out any part of the said last mentioned moiety of the said Trust stocks shares & securities to my Brother William Westall his ___ or __ & as to the other ___ part of the same moiety upon __ to pay the same unto __ of the sons of my late Brother Benjamin Westall as shall be living at the time of my ____ shares and proportions and I hereby will and direct that whomsoever it may please Almighty God that I shall die my body may be buried in the vault which I have purchased on the North side of the Parish Church of St Pancras in the county of Middx __ of the body of my most dear and moest __ friend John Ayton Esquire I __ that the locket? Which I always wear in memory of him shall be placed round my __ and buried with me and I __ & enjoin my Executors always and I __ that in __my said trustees therein? Named? Or either of them or any __ trustees to be appointed hereafter shall depart this life or be desirous of ___ of and from the aforesaid trusts or shall go to visit beyond the seas or __interest or refuse? Or ____ in the trusts aforesaid then? And in __ as soon and as often as the _ shall happen it shall & may be __ the said Trustee or Trustees for the time being or the last acting Trustee (in margin or the Executors or Advisors of the last acting Trustee) of __ Estate under this my will to _ and appoint any – fit person or __ to supply the __ of the Trustee or Trustees respectively to __ desiring to ___ or going abroad or __ seas or refusing or _ or _ in a __ to all as aforesaid and that Immediately after such appointment the trust __ and efforts then vested in __ by virtue of this my will in the Trustee or Trustees ___ to be __ or going to reside beyond the seas or refusing __ or becoming incapable to __ as aforesaid shall __ transfer __ and in such manner that the same may vest in __ now trustee or trustees __ or together with the surviving or __ or _ trustee or trustees or __ last may require and __ or their __ or __ upon the trusts for __ and _ of the recurring the same and I _ that _ trustees hereby nominated and appointed and any future trustees to be hereafter appointed? And _ and every of them and the Executors _ and ___ and _ of their _ shall be _ and ___ and _ of their _ shal be _ and __ for such _ as they shall actually _ notwithstanding he or they shall or may give or sign or join in giving or _ any receipt or receipts for the sake of conformity? And that they shall not be answerable or accountable for _ other ___ then only and _ for __ __ and _ that it shall and may be lawful to and for the said William Daniell and William Westall _ Executors _ or _ for the __ shall be a sufficient _ to the purchased or purchasers _ who _ _ be _ to see to the application of the ___ money or to __ into __ of the date __ I do hereby __ the said William Daniell and William Westall Executors of this my will and I hereby revoke allformer wills heretofore by me ___ made in witness __ I have _ set my hand and seal this thirty first day of July one thousand eight hundred years and thirty (1830) Richd Westall
(___published & _ by the _ named Richard Westall as & for his last will and Testament in the presence of Sophia Anne Roberts = Edward Travers Temple?Pliumpton? )
On the 12th April 1837 ­ with the will __of the law _ credits of Richard Westall late of Russell Place Fiztroy Square in the County of Middlesex Esq deceased was granted to Peter? Norton? Esquire a creditor? By Bow? Of the said _ having been first _ being _ William Daniell Esquire and William Westall Esq the Brother of the said deceased the Executor & ___In trust named. The said will _ first _ the probate and _ thereof and ____ with the said will _ of __ of the said deceased Mary Daniell

Note William Daniell died in 1837 which must have left William Westall as the sole Executor of the Will. A record exists of Richard Westall being buried at St Pancras Parish Church, which is almost opposite Euston Station, but there is no record of John Ayton being buried there. Letters at the Royal Academy from Richard Westall to Sir Thomas Lawrence, President of the Royal Academy indicate that Richard was particularly keen to be buried in proximity to John Ayton – extracts from these letters can be found on the website www.bradonpace/westall The crypt of the Church was used as a shelter in World War II and the tombs have been dislodged and broken in many cases. The exact location of Richard Westall’s tomb has not been established.

No comments:

Post a Comment