Saturday 6 March 2010

Southey letters

Sothebys 19 July 1960 - letter quoted from Robert Southey to William Westall
'...Your brother will use his own judgement as to the subjects. My notion was that as the poem (A Tale of Paraguay) had little to do with passion, & less with action, the more simple & quiescent the subjects which might be chosen to illustrate it, the more characteristic they would be. I hope very shortly to send him the oncluding book: it is more than half written: but the stanza has fettered my progress in a manner which might make me suspect a natural decay of power, if I did not feel the same strength and alacricity as ever when I am out of it..'
The letter is from Keswick. It is one of six mentioned to William Westall between 20 January and 20 February, 1832.
They were catalogued with a letter to Westall from Dora Wordsworth (daughter of the poet) and a manuscript poem 'To my dearest Friend Westall' signed John Ayton dated October, 1826. This would be to Richard Westall (see his Will with respect to John Ayton)

A full letter in typed transcript from Southey to William Westall from Keswick Jan 1822. Left to my brother by our uncle William Edmund Westall and given to me.

'My dear Westall,
I wrote to Longman some little time ago saying I could have the "Tale of Paraguay" ready for publication this season, and desiring that your brother might make three drawings from it. Their answer was "When you have the Tale of Paraguay ready we will consider respecting plates.
The enormous charge now made for drawings and engravings is such as to amount almost to prohibition.
Those which have been lately done for the Scoth Novels have not answered and we believe it is not the intention of the parties to illustrate any more". By this you see how unavailing it would be for me to write to them respecting the illustrations of "Roderick". And indeed I do not see of what use it could be, as we do not want them to take part in the speculation. In common course of trade they must sell them when they are ordered, and more than this they would not do unless the concern was wholly their own.
Murray said to me that he had seen the drawings, spoke very highly of them, and added that he should be most happy to engage in the engravings and publication of them.
He was to confer about it with Bedford, he said.
When I wrote in reply I let him know what number of copies had been sold, which I believe he had very much underated.
Further I have not heard.
Do you act according to your own judgement, and I will be ready at the time you specify with half the adventure. Much as I should like to see the drawings, it is better to defer this gratification as the engravers are less occupied just now.
I shall be a great deal before the public in the ensuing year, and with that sort of notoriety which may be of use to the prints.
They may very likely lead to a series from the other poems.
Edith shall copy the few sketches which I possess. They were taken by one quite unacquainted with the art, the two best of the collection were many years ago put into the hands of an artist at Bristol on his travels to make drawings that they might be engraved for my letters - but he took them away, and we never heard of him or them afterwards.
It is possible that my Uncle may have the originals, and I will write to him about them.
I have two scenes in the Life of Sir J. Moore's retreat which, if you had sketched them, would have been fine things indeed.
Edith will set about them directly. And I will put out my feelers in all directions to find where sketches may be obtained.
Murray could be of material assistance here.
The book about the new, or rather, old process in painting has been sent me and I have been much struck with the ingenuity of the authoress in seeing the hint which a mere accident gave her and pursuing it so steadily and successfully. Have you seen the book or the pictures painted in the manner there described.
You have most likely seen Lord Byron's abuse of me. I reply to it because it contains a direct charge of calumny which it is proper to meet with a direct denial. And this gives me an opportunity of laying on the lash as he deserves.
My letter is gone this day to Wordsworth and as soon as he returns it I shall dispatch it to the Courier. Murray will be sending to me sooner than Longman.
I shall very much like to see your stone drawings. Is there any secret in the printing these things which we have not yet discovered in this country? The ladies all desire their kind remembrances.
When is there a chance of seeing you in this country?
Did it ever occur to you that views in illusration of Wordsworth poem, would be a promising speculation?
I do not know so promising a one. They should be a sma;l size and such as Lakers would purchase.

God Bless you,
Yours affectionately
Robert Southey'
To William Westall, Esqre; A.R.A.
18 Mornington Place,
Hampstead Road

No comments:

Post a Comment